New User setting up

Description of your first forum.

New User setting up

PostPosted by Drouinhomebuilders » Tue May 26, 2015 7:45 pm

Hi guys,
I purchased around Christmas 2014/2015,
I'm just starting into the program today,

I'm an old Generic Cadd6 user from the 90's & have many batch files, macro's & menu's

I'm reading my purchase notes & it says the following:- please convert fonts, hatches and components before attempting to import any .GCD, .DWG or .DXF files.
what about line types?
OK
first problem:- Normally I run my computer with

My User folders are on another drive, can I move & save to that other drive without problems?

As currently General cadd saves drawings to c:\ BUT at that same time all my macros & batch files for menus (*.mnu) are currently directed to C:\CADD6\ETC\filename.gcd or .cmp or .fnt or .hch

I'm thinking I'm going to have to manually alter all my batch files & menus via a text editor to go to the new General CADD 12 directory, if I have to do this, I want to do it only once, ie to change both directory location & directory name.

Surely there has to be a quicker way than re writing or altering everything I already have?

Can I please get some input from Matt & the users in this forum before I jump in and proceed?
Drouinhomebuilders

Re: New User setting up

PostPosted by Tom Albright » Wed May 27, 2015 2:42 pm

First, thanks for purchasing and supporting General CADD!

Linetypes - General CADD has new linetypes. I don't use them. I prefer the old Generic CADD types. Milan wrote definitions for all of them. Open a blank session of V12 and type, LO,L and select "GC6LineTypes.lst" from the list. Then type AQ and do a "Full Environment Save"
Tom Albright
Tom Albright

PostPosted by Tom Albright » Wed May 27, 2015 2:45 pm

You can save drawings anywhere. Look thru the AQ settings, under File Paths.

I always run AQ in a blank session, so as not to overwrite my initial configuration.

Always do a "Full Environment Save" when done.
Tom Albright
Tom Albright

PostPosted by Tom Albright » Wed May 27, 2015 2:51 pm

This is a line from my menu:

^^^KFP HVAC,FP,C,$GCPPATH\GXC\HVAC\,!,RN,CR-45,CR,0,TN,C,--,;

It sets the file path, thumbnails, rotation, etc. Note the $GCPPATH\ That is the default install path for GCP, equivalent to:
C:|General CADD 12\

When version 13 comes out, it will map to that path, so you only have to change it one time.
Last edited by Tom Albright on Wed May 27, 2015 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Albright
Tom Albright

PostPosted by Tom Albright » Wed May 27, 2015 2:58 pm

To edit multiple macros in one shot, I use this:

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

I am able to do a search and replace within (55) macros in one shot. I'll have to refresh my memory, as I don't do it very often. I could see using this method as a big timesaver for you!

Say you have C:\Cadd6\macros\ as a path in your menus & batch files. You can replace C:\Cadd6\ with $GCPPATH\

And keep all the same paths under the root the same as before. In Notepad++, go to Search and Find in Files, enter the search and replace info and select the path to your files and check All Subfolders option.
Tom Albright
Tom Albright

PostPosted by Drouinhomebuilders » Thu May 28, 2015 7:30 pm

Hi Matt & Tom,

All went well with the text conversion of my menus, etc. that Notepad++ made easy work of that chore,
thanking you for that time saver,
BUT
I just started doing gcd file conversions & got an error message,
Screen picture of that error is enclosed in this email to contact@generalcadd.com
Basically the Ct allowed me to edit approx. 50 gcd files then during that, it gave an error message.
Each time I try to attempt to CT again I get the error message.

The other thing that I need to address before progressing further is that I need my fonts & layer names
for my environment, my menus & batch files are looking for *.fnt's / Font folder & how do I get the layers
into a drawing, from memory, I thought that the layers loaded with the drawing & then you updated your
environment EN:S?

Your help is appreciated
Drouinhomebuilders

PostPosted by Tom Albright » Fri May 29, 2015 2:18 pm

Fonts are now gxf's, so you need to update any reference to fnt.

I've always had issues with CT and try to avoid it. I have only converted drawings that I use frequently. I have hundreds of GCD's which are archived and I see no reason to convert. I have associated GCD with General CADD and open them in Windows Explorer by double-clicking them. You can also add a shortcut to GCP EXE to your Send To menu; Then you can highlight a list of GCD's (or gxd's) and right click and "Send to" that shortcut - It will open them all in one tabbed session of GCP.

I thought layers were saved with the drawings.

It would be really nice if Matt were to chime in here. Have not heard from him for quite a while.
Tom Albright
Tom Albright

PostPosted by Drouinhomebuilders » Fri May 29, 2015 5:22 pm

I thank you Tom, after yesterdays effort with the errors, I come to the same conclusion as you, I also see no reason to convert.
Good news is I loaded one of the older drawings I have & got my layers & settings saved into the environment.
The way my menus & batches are set up, I think I need my old fonts, I think I will have to pull an old 486 drive & get my fonts folder from that.
The cool thing is that if I leave the GCP menu in place, I can also load one of my VM's as well, best of both worlds......
Im, going to start a new post about list of commands that I would dearly love to have.

Thanking you for your help Tom
all the best Peter
Drouinhomebuilders

PostPosted by Tom Albright » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:28 pm

You're welcome, Peter. Glad to help!

I can't believe its been 14 years since I've been using General CADD. There are many, many new commands. I'm sure most of the commands you want are now available or can be created with macros.

Under the Help file is a heading, "New Commands by Version" - That would be a good place to start.
Tom Albright
Tom Albright

Return to General CADD Forum