Surveyor question

Description of your first forum.

Surveyor question

PostPosted by epare » Thu May 21, 2015 2:04 am

"Forever" I've been using a HP48GX as a data collector with SMI software, downloading to an XP computer via cable to a 9 pin serial port. I'm being forced to "modernize" for various reasons and am trying to incorporate my data collection procedure with a Win 7 Pro modern computer which has no 9 pin serial port. In order to keep using my no longer supported SMI software to transfer my data from the 48 GX to the computer, I'm having the new computer set up by my computer guy with a virtual XP computer, or some such term, that allows me to run XP on a Win 7 Pro computer. From past experience, and hearing from computer techies, there are serial port to USB converters to handle the data collector cable, but they're quite finicky, and we won't know if it will work until installing it.

Was wondering if any of you have encountered similar situations and how you handled them?

Thanks,

Ed
epare

Re: Surveyor question

PostPosted by CET » Fri May 22, 2015 1:31 am

Ed-I have the exact same computer setup, but rarely find need to use the Virtual XP mode. I use a Plugable® USB to RS-232 DB9 Serial Adapter-$14.95 at Amazon, and I've never had a problem connecting my older collectors or other components that require a RS-232 9 pin connection.

http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Adapter- ... ds=PL-2303
CET

Return to General CADD Forum