Security Dongle plugged into a docking station ?

Description of your first forum.

Security Dongle plugged into a docking station ?

PostPosted by Josh » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:11 am

I'm considering picking up a Surface Pro 3 (i7) so that I might enjoy some mobility with my work (dreaming... deck? travel? boat !?) I'd like to set it up with a docking station so that it performs more like a desktop for the majority of the time. This will allow for extra monitors, ports, etc. The Surface Pro 3 itself has limited usb ports so I'd like to plug any security dongles into the many ports available on the docking station. Anyone know if this will create any issues ? I suppose it will either work - or not work. So which is it ? This setup works fine with an add-on usb hub so I imagine it will work.

Any insight ?
Josh

Re: Security Dongle plugged into a docking station ?

PostPosted by BQLockUSA » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:40 pm

As long as General Cadd system can find the dongle there should be no problem. Let all of us know how you make out. I am also interested in the Surface.
BQLockUSA

PostPosted by Sam » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:59 pm

I was given a Surface Pro 2 for a birthday present and have tried it out with GCP. I have not heard of a docking station until now. They look like they might be a good thing for me. I’m going to consider getting one. GCP works fine on it. It has only 1 USB port which I found very limiting, since it got used up with the dongle. For a mouse I had to buy a Bluetooth one. And I don’t really like it all that much. Instead of a scroll wheel it has a kind of a touch slider bar which senses the touch of my finger, but I find it doesn’t operate smoothly, but kind of jumpy or jittery. I do really like how fast the machine turns on. Almost like an Apple machine. It takes my laptop a good 5 minutes to fully boot up. I work as a carpenter and use GCP as another tool in my tool box. I usually do the drawing at home in advance of the day’s work, but often wish to have use of it on site. The surface was supposed to help fill that bill, but hasn’t worked out entirely well, in part because of the mouse limitations. A dock may help me out.
Sam

PostPosted by Matt » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:49 pm

Sam,
Have you looked into a USB Hub? There are a million designs http://tinyurl.com/qazpls6. That's how I get around when I run out of USB ports.
I have a docking station for my Dell laptop and love it...but when you take it off the dock your dongle is not attached anymore. Don't forget it.
Matt
Matt
Site Admin

PostPosted by Sam » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:21 pm

No I haven’t looked into a USB Hub. I wasn’t aware of them. But I will look into them. Sounds like a cheaper option, and adequate for site work where I wouldn’t want a lot of other paraphernalia, such as monitors, additional larger keyboards (I have a keyboard with my Surface), etc. Thanks for the tip.
Sam
Sam

PostPosted by Josh » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:52 am

Sam ... I'd recommend trying a USB hub first. Easy $10 solution and better than a dock on a job site. the dock is really meant to turn the Surface into a desktop.

If you do pick-up a dock, make sure you get the right one. A new dock wont fit a SP2. You'll have to find an old dock.

(someday my dock will include a boat) :mrgreen:
Josh

PostPosted by Josh » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:14 pm

Update: For any interested in using a Surface Pro3 & a Surface Docking Station as a desktop - the security dongle works great in one of the many available ports on the dock (I used one of the usb 2.0 ports). :D

Now all I need is a boat.
Josh

PostPosted by William McCormick » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:08 pm

I tried out a I5 Surface Pro 3 at MicroCenter near me. They let me download General Cadd and run it. It loads and runs as fast as my desktop I7 at 3.4 GH with SSD drives. That is amazing. I do have a lot of programs loaded on my desktop and this Surface Pro, is a new and rather barren machine.

By the time you buy the surface pro and the somewhat flimsy keyboard you are up over a grand. So I went to look at the Mac's and VMware, if I am going for that kind of money. To see at what velocity I could expect General Cadd to run. It seems promising, but I would have to see it to believe it. I gave up on a mobile system some years ago, because of the time it took to startup a laptop.

I tried running General Cadd in VMware on a Mac mini about two years ago and had no luck. However the General Cadd was on a DOS or Windows server, and the Mac mini was just accessing our office Windows server. I am going to give it a shot either with Parallels or VMware.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
William McCormick

PostPosted by Josh » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:25 pm

I'm running a Surface Pro 3 i7. While functioning as a desktop it sits in the Surface docking station and is connected to a 27" monitor and a full logitech keyboard/mouse. General Cadd works well - though I'm still transitioning over to Version 12 and testing that setup. As for startup time... it's very quick. I also run the full Adobe Creative Suite, Sketchup, and several other processor heavy programs and haven't had an issue.

The price tag is probably closer to 2k but the option for mobility is well worth it for me.

(I began using 'GenCadd' on a 386/DOS : )
Josh

PostPosted by William McCormick » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:58 pm

I ended up getting a Mac Book Pro and using boot camp that is included with Mac OS, and it flies along nicely. Boots up quickly, and runs very fast. It is amazing how two systems, supposedly the same, operate differently on two different machines. Even the password entry to open up Windows operates differently on my Windows machine than on my Mac. Accessories as well act differently on the same software but through two different pieces of hardware.

I am hammering out all the bugs and I am so far very happy with how GCP performs in that Mac environment.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
William McCormick

PostPosted by William McCormick » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:06 pm

I tried parallels and I did not like at all how it ran General Cadd software. I did not even bother trying VMware because there were complaints about cadd running on VMware.

General Cadd does work well through Boot Camp though. You cannot tell you are working on a Mac, except for how fast it loads.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
William McCormick

Return to General CADD Forum