Hatch spills out of boundry

Description of your first forum.

Hatch spills out of boundry

PostPosted by xyzer » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:32 pm

In some occasional cut away drawings I have a problem with a seed hatch/fill IH IF staying in the boundary to other boundaries. I know there might be a gap somewhere and I make sure all entities are connected but to no avail. I did a search and found nothing to help me out. 80% of the time it works fine and sucks me into using it. When I have a problem it really eats time trying to figure out why it wants to do this. I am using the latest version. Any help will be appreciated!
Dave
xyzer

Re: Hatch spills out of boundry

PostPosted by PHINESLS » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:07 am

Xyzer,

I know what you mean. Hatches are set up very critical. If there is only a very small gap the hatch will go out of the desired Boundary. Some times it is very hard to figure out where this tiny little error gap is.

What I do sometimes is to switch to a new separate layer and go around the desired hatch boundary one segment at a time until I closeout the poyline all in the same separate layer lets call this Layer #10. Than still in this separate layer #10 I will turn all the other layers off (the AL Toggle Command). At this time I will do the seed Hatch and I get some great results with the hatch just where I want it to be. Then I put the hatch in a different Layer. I then turn off (hide) or erase the polyline layer #10 that I used to create the Hatch.

Hatches are very important to make drawings easier to comprehend and making the Drawing pretty especially if you have a color printer I use hatches all the time.

Good Luck.

Regards,

Patrick (Rusty) Hines LS
PHINESLS

PostPosted by Tom Albright » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:41 pm

I often do the same thing Patrick does - drawing the hatch boundary on a specific layer.

Seed fill and hatch work great 70% of the time.

When using Seed Hatch and it fails on a complex area, do a SE,N - A connected selection on the hatch boundary. Observe the highlighted lines and look for gaps or crossed lines, if it doesn't connect.

I also rely heavily on BH, OH, WH and FH commands for the more difficult/touchy areas.

Another method I use is for open ended areas, whereby I add really light construction lines to enclose them and then either leave the lines there or erase them after the hatch is placed.
Tom Albright
Tom Albright

PostPosted by PHINESLS » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:03 am

Tom,

Thanks for your input. I will try some of your tips and methods.

Regards,

Patrick (Rusty) Hines LS
PHINESLS

PostPosted by Lew » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:25 pm

One of things I do is to segregate things by laYers. Thus, each Part gets its own set of laYers. I "increment" the main boundary lines by increments of 10 laYers. Offset from the set's basis laYer by 1 laYer are internal yet visible lines. Offset from the set's basis laYer by 2 laYers are the primary hidden lines. Dimensions are offset from the set's basis laYer by 6 laYers. Annotations are offset from the set's basis laYer by 7 laYers. Hatches are offset from the set's basis laYer by 8 laYers.

This allows me to Copy "bounding geometry" for a Hatch some "round distance[/i] away from the "crowded area." Thus, I can trim the "bounding geometry[/i] such that I have a completely coNnected outline that can be used for a Window Hatch -- it being my experience that a Window Hatch is the most reliable of Hatches. I then merely moVe the Hatch back to my "round distance" origin.

???
Lew

PostPosted by PHINESLS » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:22 pm

Lew,

Thank you for the information it was helpful.

Regards,

Rusty
PHINESLS

PostPosted by Lew » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:58 pm

PHINESLS wrote:Thank you for the information it was helpful.

That is the point of the forum!
Lew

PostPosted by David S. » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:48 pm

A little trick that I use with great success is to do a IA, it'll point out where the gap is very quick.
David S.

PostPosted by xyzer » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:49 pm

I tried all of the tricks and some I already use. I already use several layers for dimensions and hatches. It looks like when there is a problem child you just have to tough through it. Thank for the suggestions. I don't feel alone and it is something we all have to deal with at times.

I would like to thank the people who went to all the work dragging Generic Cadd into the modern age. Would I still have a dedicated DOS pc just to run it or would I have picked another affordable CADD package to relearn the ins and outs. They made it easy for me to move on with what I already had learned. How many years have we had General Cadd now? Oh and a big thanks to the other people out there on the forum that help out when needed.

You all have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Dave
xyzer

PostPosted by PHINESLS » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:43 am

In my hatching, I do experience that if some of the Hatch Boundary was created with the "CV" command to create a Curve. Often the hatch Boundary will spill out of its Boundary. Example as when I am hatching a curved Driveway that intersects a Property line. Sometimes I will trim the Curved Boundary to the Property line Boundary to make the Hatch work.

Regards,

Rusty
PHINESLS

Return to General CADD Forum