Printing problem

Description of your first forum.

Printing problem

PostPosted by roofman6 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:37 am

I can't seem to get the paper size to change to Arch D or 24 x 36". It stays at 8.5 x 11" no matter what printer I select. In DP/Page Setup, I can select from from several PDF printers, some of which recognize Arch D paper size, but when the paper size when I print stays at 8.5" x 11".
I need to send the drawings off to a commercial printer that only accepts PDF files.

roofman6, San Diego
roofman6

Re: Printing problem

PostPosted by CET » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:49 am

After DP click Printer, then Properties. Setup your orientation and click Advanced to set your paper size, then OK. I've had similar issues and the forgoing seems make the DP command work correctly. Let us know whether or not that fixes the issue for you.
CET

PostPosted by Tom Albright » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:39 pm

I'm going to expand what Carl wrote, as this seems to be a very confusing method for many users.

Printing can be a pain until its set up right.

Here's the PDF writer that I use. It supports all the large paper sizes.

http://www.plotsoft.com/download/PDFill.exe

Its always best practice to avoid using the paper size drop down dialog in the GCP Printer Page Setup menu (DP,U).

Instead, DP,U and click the "Printer" button at the top of the dialog, select your printer and then click the "Properties" button to the right of the printer selection. For the PDF drivers, click the "Advanced" button on the lower right corner of the PDF dialog. Paper size selection is near the top. Once set, click the Layout tab at the top of the dialog box and set your paper orientation. Click OK several times to return to the GCP Printer Page Setup menu.

You may need to click APPLY to update this screen. Once everything is set to your liking, click the "Save/Create Printer Settings File" button and name your setup. This is how I name mine:

PDFill - D3+20 - 24x36 - 150 DPI

Printer - ColorMap - Size - DPI

Make sure when you exit the Printer Page Setup menu, that you save your drawing, thus linking the Printer settings file with your drawing. Next time you open that drawing and DP, the printer settings should auto-populate and make printing a snap.
Tom Albright
Tom Albright

PostPosted by roofman6 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:32 pm

Thanks CET and Tom,

Is there another way to get to the printer settings? When I hover over the printer icon it says "Print/Plot (DP)" which brings me to the page-setUp, Origin, Scale, Rotate, Fit, Center, opTions, and it is here in page-setUp that the paper size stays at 8.50" x 11.00" no matter what I do.

Roofman6
roofman6

PostPosted by roofman6 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:50 pm

CET and Tom,
I forgot to mention that I am using PDFill PDF and Image Writer and it does let me select D size or 24x36" paper sizes. Nevertheless, when I go to print, I get 8.5 x 11" paper. I can send you screen shots of just how this all looks if you need them. I'm trying to plot at 3/8" = 1'-0" or 32 scale on Arch D paper and it just isn't working.

Roofman6
roofman6

PostPosted by Tom Albright » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:18 pm

Type U to get to the settings screen, or just use DP, U rather than the icons.

Follow my procedure and make sure to click APPLY when done.

Does your print preview page size reflect Arch D or letter?

What version are you using?

You may want to delete the following files from this directory (while GCP is not running):

C:\General CADD 12\Settings\Printer\default.pra
C:\General CADD 12\Settings\Printer\default.prb
Tom Albright
Tom Albright

PostPosted by roofman6 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:49 pm

Tom,

Thanks for your prompt reply.
I'm using version 11. I did eliminate those two files and started General Cadd and loaded the drawing, and did DP U selected PDFill as the printer with ArchD for size and it said it was initializing the printer, I hit apply and it still says "Page Setup: <PDFill PDF&Image Writer **Paper Size: 8.50" x 11.00"" and it shows an outline of the area to be printed on the drawing.

Thanks again,
Roofman6
roofman6

PostPosted by Tom Albright » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:22 pm

I've had these sticking issues in the past with paper size. I recall setting it twice (in the properties dialog) as helping.

As always, make sure you have the latest V11 version and the latest PDFill version - I linked the latest above in previous post.

I'm using V12, though V11 printed PDF with PDFill just fine.

I'll see if I can rattle Matt's cage.

If you need the PDF ina hurry, you can PM me and I can make one for you.
Tom Albright
Tom Albright

PostPosted by Matt » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:58 pm

Are you using 11.1.28?

Are you setting the paper from our Setup dialog, or from the Printer button?

Sometimes using the dropdown in our Setup dialog doesn't stick. The Printer button launches the driver's settings - try changing the paper size from there if you haven't already tried that.

Matt
Matt
Site Admin

PostPosted by roofman6 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:21 am

Matt,

Yes, I'm using V11.1.28, and yes, I'm using the printer button to set things up.
Where exactly is the setup dialog? I need to know exactly how to get to it. I can re-install the program, in fact, I'm thinking about installing it on a second machine. Would that help?
Thanks,
Roofman6
roofman6

PostPosted by Matt » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:56 am

That might help since other users don't seem to be having that problem. I'd be happy to do a Go To Meeting with you in the morning and see if I can catch anything. Email me at contact@generalcadd.com - earlier the better.
Matt
Matt
Site Admin

PostPosted by roofman6 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:18 pm

I installed General Cadd on another machine and got the printer to recognize ArchD sheets, so I uninstalled General Cadd on my main machine and re-installed it and it too now recognizes 24x36" sheet sizes. I won't know how they print until I send out for prints, but at least the sheet size is now ok. The main reason I don't use Generic Cadd anymore is a similar problem. I used to be able to export my drawings to .dwf files, and our local printer could print them. He now only accepts .pdf or .dwf formated drawings.

Thanks for your help,
Roofman6
roofman6

Return to General CADD Forum