Windows Version?

Description of your first forum.

Windows Version?

PostPosted by David S. » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:06 am

I am one of the fuddy duddies that is still using XP but received an email from DropBox stating they won't support XP after August this year so I have to bite the bullet at home and the office and upgrade Windows to some higher version. I am kinda wanting to go just up to 7 Enterprise right now, afraid of jumping straight to 10. This is going to be installed without changing any computers too. Of course I want to know how stable General Cadd Pro is on these right now. (BTW I highly recommend DropBox to anyone, very easy to use and is free up to 1GB)
David S.

Re: Windows Version?

PostPosted by CET » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:55 am

David, I'd jump straight to Windows 10. There's little difference between 7 & 10, and GCP is pretty stable running under 10. I've had a few GCP crashes, but nothing that wasn't easily recoverable.
CET

PostPosted by David S. » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:36 pm

I was told that by a couple of friends so far so I am really leaning that way now. Thanks for the valued input.
David S.

PostPosted by Tom Albright » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:17 pm

David,

I would seriously consider buying a new computer with Windows 10 Pro. You may have hardware compatibility issues going from XP to 10. XP is quite old and you will get much better performance with new, modern hardware.
Tom Albright
Tom Albright

PostPosted by David S. » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:09 am

Just to let you know Windows 10 is doing pretty good so far, at least at home. I still have to upgrade the one at work this weekend.( A new 1/2TB WD Drive and Windows 7 Pro with a free 10 upgrade right now all costing about $70) A question: I still employ Survey 4 (Ms-Dos) as a secondary checker for my area and coordinates. Windows 10 doesn't directly support a Ms-Dos module for running this (I ran it fine in XP). What advice is there on figuring out how to run it on 10 without configuring a virtual machine? I right clicked on the icon and edited the features to match what it had in XP but it just keeps saying it cannot run in fullscreen although I have it to run in a window.
David S.

Return to General CADD Forum