What is the best Mouse with a lot of Buttons

Description of your first forum.

What is the best Mouse with a lot of Buttons

PostPosted by PHINESLS » Sun May 01, 2016 11:32 am

I am wondering if anyone has any Suggestions for the Best Mouse with the most Buttons. I know I can go the Digitizer way with a 16 Button Puck but than I loose the Mouse Wheel for Zooms that is nice to have. I like to have a lot of Buttons for my Macro commands.

I recently Purchased a Logitech G600 MMO Gaming mouse with 12 buttons on the Left Side for my thumb. Problem with that mouse is I can not get the 12 buttons to recognize GCP Macro commands. I think those 12 Buttons are strictly for gaming and need special software to run. This mouse does have a nice wheel with four commands that I use. #1 wheel left (OR). #2 wheel Right (OA). #3 wheel down for Panning . #4 Wheel to turn for Zooming. This Wheel excellent.

Best Regards,

Patrick (Rusty) Hines LS
PHINESLS

Re: What is the best Mouse with a lot of Buttons

PostPosted by Tom Albright » Mon May 02, 2016 2:03 pm

I use an old, corded 3button Logitech with the scroll wheel. When it dies, I will get another Logitech with the 2-mode scroll, that spins free and has detents. I can't have too many buttons - Too confusing. I use the keyboard for macros and custom 2-letter commands.

As a side note, I got a new Logitech G710 mechanical keyboard. It has programmable buttons that work off of Logitech software. It runs GCP macros just fine. It will let you use different custom key command sets based on which program you are running.

I would think Logitech would have something similar for your mouse.

I don't use the dedicated Pan command, as GCP has an excellent Pan/Zoom combo - Which is amazing once you get used to it.

R-button is NP, Middle is PU. SHFT + Middle is SO.
Tom Albright
Tom Albright

PostPosted by PHINESLS » Tue May 03, 2016 9:44 am

Tom,

Thank you for your information and Help. I am still looking for a Mouse with a lot of buttons that does not need any extra programming, (if one exists). I will look in to the new Logitech G710 Mechanical Keyboard, but if it needs special programming it may not be for me as far as getting it setup. I may go the way of the Digitizer with a 16 button Puck combo and the only thing I will lose is the Wheel Zoom. That is a lot to lose. Thank you again for your suggestions.

Regards,

Patrick (Rusty) Hines LS
PHINESLS

PostPosted by CET » Tue May 03, 2016 10:58 am

I just ordered one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/3D-Connexion-Sp ... 1188486724

It's a serial device so you'd need an USB adapter, and I'm not sure it will work on Windows 10. I'll post back in a couple of days and let you know how it goes.

For the past 15 years I've been using a CadPro Tablet with 16 button puck, which I like, but it's getting old and doesn't always play well with Windows 10-driver issues.
CET

PostPosted by PHINESLS » Tue May 03, 2016 12:30 pm

CET,

Let me know how that new device you order works out. I am using Win 7, at this point I have know plans to move to Win 10. I will look into the CadPro Tablet with the 16 button Puck that you like. Thank you for your Help and suggestions.

Regards,

Patrick (Rusty) Hines LS
PHINESLS

PostPosted by Tom Albright » Tue May 03, 2016 12:35 pm

Hi Patrick,

I know Matt put some time into getting mice to work better with GCP. You may want to peruse the GCP help file as well as the Windows Mouse options. You may be able to use those buttons thru Windows and not load any custom software. My keyboard requires custom software to use the extra functions. The software is very intuitive, runs in the background and does not get in the way. My keyboard software does allow GCP to utilize those extra keys.
Tom Albright
Tom Albright

PostPosted by PHINESLS » Tue May 03, 2016 2:53 pm

Tom,

Thanks again for the Advice and Information. I will look into your Suggestions.

Regards,

Patrick (Rusty) Hines LS
PHINESLS

PostPosted by CET » Fri May 06, 2016 10:45 am

Well it appears the Spaceball 5000 won't work with Windows 10, and probably not with Windows 7 either :-( If anyone has an XP machine they'd like to try it on I've got a Spaceball 5000 for sale-cheap!

I may try one of these next http://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Version- ... ge_o00_s00
CET

PostPosted by PHINESLS » Sat May 07, 2016 9:40 am

CET,

Thanks for the update. Good Luck with that new Mouse if you decide to purchase one.

Regards,

Patrick (Rusty) Hines LS
PHINESLS

PostPosted by CET » Tue May 10, 2016 12:24 am

I got the new mouse today and so far it's great. Six buttons on top with scroll wheel and 12 programmable left side buttons. The mouse program has many different ways to program each key, allows for 4 different profiles (so you can use a different profile for different programs and assign all the buttons accordingly). It also allows you to write macros and assign to any of the buttons. Size is comfortable and I've already set the digitizer aside.
CET

PostPosted by PHINESLS » Tue May 24, 2016 9:03 am

CET,

How easy was it to assign Macros to the Keys on the Side of the Mouse. Did you have to Load in Special Mouse Software? My Logitech Mouse looks very similar to yours, at this point I can not figure out how to assign macros to the side keys.

Regards,

Patrick (Rusty) Hines LS
PHINESLS

PostPosted by CET » Tue May 24, 2016 10:49 am

Very easy, and yes it has it's own driver software. You have the option of assigning from a host of keyboard combos or recording a macro for any given button. For example, select a button hit record macro and enter your assignment and hit stop recording, apply and exit. You have four different profiles you can setup giving you up to 72 button assignments. So far I've setup a couple different profiles for different programs.

You can download the program and manual here: http://www.utechsmart.com/download

BTW, I was unable to assign any real useful commands to my Logitech Mouse either.
CET

PostPosted by PHINESLS » Tue May 24, 2016 9:51 pm

CET,

Thanks for your Help and Support with the Utech Smart Venus Mouse. I think I am going to buy one and give it a try. Sounds like you are doing well with Yours and all ready proved it works with GCP. Just hope I can figure out how to assign my GCP Macros to all the Side Buttons on the Mouse. Assigning macros to the Side Buttons can not be done with the usual GCP way of assigning a Macro to a normal mouse. I take it the macros for the side buttons have to be assigned using the Utech software. If I have problems I will reach out to you for Help. Thanks Again.

Regards,

Patrick (Rusty) Hines LS
PHINESLS

PostPosted by CET » Tue May 24, 2016 11:04 pm

Rusty,

You're welcome. I think you'll like it a lot, other than the initial macro input. MA in GCP does not work with the mouse, but maybe we can talk Matt into taking a look at providing some linkage between the mouse and MA. I'll ask, but I know there's not much going on in the way of development GCP :-(

CET
CET

PostPosted by PHINESLS » Wed May 25, 2016 9:22 am

CET,

Just order the Utech Smart Mouse. Will let you know how I do with assigning the GCP Macros to the side Buttons.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Rusty
PHINESLS

PostPosted by PHINESLS » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:16 pm

CET,

I have the New Utech Smart Venus MMO Gaming Mouse Working With GCP. No Problems getting the Macros Set up with the Mouse Software with Windows 7. It was a lot easier than I expected. The Mouse Macro Manger Software was very easy to figure out and use. Thanks for your Help in recommending this Super Good Mouse. It is like having another 12 F keys at the tip of my thumb. I can even assign any Windows key Board commands to the hot keys like Enter, Delete, Escape and etc. When creating Macros no need to use commas between the GCP commands as in the Macro Assign way with GCP. All so in GCP for some commands like Enter you use a "!" symbol but in the mouse macro software you just use the enter key not the GCP symbol. The Hot Keys even work with word Processing. Again thanks for the recommendation.

Regards,

Patrick (Rusty) Hines LS
PHINESLS

PostPosted by CET » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:33 am

Rusty,

Glad to hear how much you like the mouse-it's great! Actually if you use all 5 available Profiles it's like having 60 F keys ;-) Being able to control mouse movement by changing DPI is sweet too! I told their marketing department they needed to expand their efforts to target CAD users-not just gamers, but based upon their reply I don't think they understood what Computer Aided Drafting had to do with gaming ;-)

CT
CET

PostPosted by PHINESLS » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:45 pm

CT,

Those 5 available Profiles to get 60 F Keys is a great feature. I have not assigned Macros to them yet, but I will soon. I can switch between Profiles with a click of a button. I also lot the shot key on the Mouse.

Regards,

Rusty
PHINESLS

Return to General CADD Forum