Hatch and Fill

Description of your first forum.

Hatch and Fill

PostPosted by peohguy » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:53 pm

I am an owner/user of Generic CADD 6.1, but it has been a long time sine I have used it and just recently downloaded a copy of a trial version of General CADD 11.1. My instruction book for CADD 6.1 is a long ways away from me. I seldom used the hatch and fill commands so I don't remember how it is done. I can't find out how to do it in HELP. Can someone email me or write me a short instruction on how to do either a OBJECT or a WINDOW FILL or HATCH. I appreciate any help you can give.
peohguy

Re: Hatch and Fill

PostPosted by Lew » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:49 pm

Peohguy,

In terms of Hatches (and Fills being nearly the same with the main difference being that the 2nd command letter is F) your choices are: Boundary Hatch (BH) where a polygon boundary is hatched based on the Points you select; Fitted Hatch (FH) where you select the Entities that surround the area you with to hatch; Seed Hatch (IH) where you place a "seed point" inside of a "bounded area" and the hatch will expand to fill the "bounded area;" and Window Hatch (WH) where enclosing a determinately bounded area with a Window Select will fill that area with hatch. There is also Hatch Selection (HA) that allows you to pick the boundary of your hatched area using the standard Selection Tool.

Does this help?
Lew

PostPosted by peohguy » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:46 pm

No. I am familiar with the commands, but I just don't know how to implement or execute them. I need step by step instructions how to just do one. or show/tell me how I can access help.
Thanks
peohguy

PostPosted by peohguy » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:24 am

Thanks for your help. I figured it out by doing a hatch by object. I first set my hatch scale to 1/4 ", then selected my hatch color, then drew a inch diameter circle, then did a hatch select, selected Object, then hit Return. and voila there it was. my problem is that my eyes are not as good as they once were and I didn't see the command feedback words/letters in the lower left command bar. One I focused on that it was easy enough to follow the Instructions. I just needed a nudge.
peohguy

PostPosted by Lew » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:25 pm

Peohguy -- From the DIsplay Settings, use the Fonts options and you can change the Prompt Font and Menu Font settings to make them more visible. As I am dead colorblind the Red, such "adjustments" are extremely valuable to me!
Lew

PostPosted by peohguy » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:34 am

Thanks.
That is a big help. Red letters on a gray or near white background are really hard to see. The black letters in Ariel and larger size are much easier to see. Thanks again for the help. I was able to change the side menu to a color and font that I like better too. Ariel and yellow.
peohguy

PostPosted by Lew » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:17 pm

Back when I was in college (you know, the Dark Ages) I was the Physics Department machinist. I was columnating a set of neon-argon laser lens when a "joker" decided it would be "fun" to jumper them through a different power supply and turn them on whilst I was staring down the borescope. I no longer have "red receptors" in my eyes and red colors appear as a funny shade of gray to me. The CAD world today seems to think that a "bright red" on a "black" background is "highly visible" to everyone -- and it is an RPITA to me! One of the (many) things I love about General CADD is the degree to which such things are "customizable."
Lew

PostPosted by peohguy » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:10 pm

I hope you gave that joker a RBPITS when you caught up with him!
Glad that General CADD is customizable to overcome some of your visual shortcomings.
I can bet that you had some real interesting jobs being a machinist in a physics department at a college. I'm somewhat of a romanticist and can imagine some of your experiences being like the main character in a book I read, it too in the dark ages called "The Tool room Trustee", I think that is the right name. One book I would like to read again.
peohguy

PostPosted by Lew » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:24 pm

peohguy wrote:I hope you gave that joker a RBPITS when you caught up with him!
Glad that General CADD is customizable to overcome some of your visual shortcomings.
I can bet that you had some real interesting jobs being a machinist in a physics department at a college. I'm somewhat of a romanticist and can imagine some of your experiences being like the main character in a book I read, it too in the dark ages called "The Tool room Trustee", I think that is the right name. One book I would like to read again.

Actually, they got the "perp" out of "Dodge" before I got out of the hospital.

I have done work for more than 500 different companies and government agencies across four continents. I did design & development work on the Glomar Explorer as well as designed, built, and qualified the hypergolic fuel pump system that fed the steering thrusters of the transfer vehicle that carried the Curiosity Rover from Earth orbit to Mars orbit. So my work has gone from the depths of Earth's oceans to the orbit of Mars (how many people can honestly make such a claim). Shortly after I passed the examination for my Washington State license as a Professional (Mechanical) Engineer, my brother's girlfriend was the chief veterinarian for elephants at Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle. She needed a sling & stand system to manipulate her "charges" (and the work had to be "sealed" by a PE) -- guess who got elected? This gives me the right to claim to have worked all the way from aerospace to zoology! [And, were it not for bad jokes I would have no jokes at all!]

Weird and strange is my normal...
Lew

PostPosted by peohguy » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:54 pm

Wow, your assignments were more glamorous, interesting and far reaching than I ever could imagine. My work just ranged from under the sea, assisting in the design and developing of electronic devices used for testing torpedoes, and doing the electrical design work on developing and building and testing an underwater winch system, called BOMIS. as well as a lot of other things during 27 years of Electrical Engineering.
peohguy

PostPosted by Lew » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:20 pm

Ah, an electron chaser. Everything I know about electronic is: Ohm's Law, Kirchhoff's Law, Don Lancaster, Forrest Mimms III, and, if you let the smoke out, the magic's gone! The scary part is how often that limited set of knowledge is sufficient. ;-)
Lew

PostPosted by peohguy » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:55 am

Speaking of the Glomar Explorer I remember reading an article in Undersea Technology I think that's the right mag about the Hughes Glomar Explorer that was supposedly recovering manganese nodules from the bottom of the ocean As it turned out the nodules were more or less a CIA ploy or red herring to cover up the recovery of the sunken Soviet submarine K-129, lost in April 1968. The Glomar Explorer set sail on 20 June 1974 and began the search.
I believe I remember reading about it later that quite a bit was recovered, but I not sure about the full story.
peohguy

PostPosted by Lew » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:15 pm

Actually, I know nothing about the actual voyage (I was "land-side design & manufacture operations). However, the thing I have said for 40 years know is that, knowing many of the people on that team, they either got everything they went after or they are still out there. That was the kind of team they were.
Lew

PostPosted by peohguy » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:41 pm

I believe you are correct and they got what they went for!
peohguy

Return to General CADD Forum