Mass update line width?

Description of your first forum.

Mass update line width?

PostPosted by jbounds3 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:33 pm

Is it possible to mass update the line widths in an entire drawing? I didn't really pay attention to the default when I started working on it and now everything is zero width and really thin when printed out.
jbounds3

Re: Mass update line width?

PostPosted by Matt » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:57 pm

You can try DG,W
or DP,T,L and set it to something more than the default.
Matt
Site Admin

PostPosted by PHINESLS » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:03 am

Your Question: Is it possible to mass update the line widths in an entire drawing? Answer is YES.

Type CG for the Change command. Type(F) for Filter on. Type (L) to Filter lines. When EF: Change Entity Filter = Line hit enter to accept. Now you have choices to select Layer--Color--Type--Width--All if you want to filter your selection or leave them all at all to select all the lines in your drawing. Hit Return to accept. Now hit (D) to select the entire Drawing. You will see all the lines in the drawing highlighted along with selection count. Hit return to accept. Now the final step in your case is to select (W) for width and than enter in your new line width to make your lines thicker. With a little practice this command is very easy and powerful to use.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Regards,

Patrick (Rusty) Hines LS
PHINESLS

PostPosted by Tom Albright » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:46 pm

Patrick has an excellent, detailed answer. Just note that it will only affect lines and you'll need to repeat it for other objects and it won't help with unexploded components. You can filter by color, if you use various colors in your drawing.

A better way to control the output is the following:

If you don't want to change the drawing, you can use Line Width Multiplier in the print screen to globally increase your line weights. The setting is found in the information box in the lower right hand corner of the print screen. The setting applies to all objects, unexploded components, etc.

Another way to control printer output would be to use color maps, which map line colors to widths and grayscales or color. Let me know if that is of interest to you and if you need help with them.

We draw all of our drawings using a LW of zero. Rarely do we use a LW of 2 or more. All printer output is controlled by color maps, with each color representing a width and color/grayscale.
Tom Albright
Tom Albright

PostPosted by jbounds3 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:19 pm

Thanks for the help - just what I needed!!
-JB
jbounds3

Return to General CADD Forum