Survey point categories

Description of your first forum.

Survey point categories

PostPosted by Lresources » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:30 pm

Typically a survey will have several different categories or descriptions of points. Such as section corners, found pins, right of ways etc. When I download points into the generic set up which is like points in one layer, descriptions in another elevations in another and so on. The problem that I have then is that's so many times these points are almost on top of each other and it's hard to see one from another.

I have tried setting up templates with different layers for different categories of points but this also seems quite time-consuming and as every survey is not exactly the same this method always calls for more or different layers for the points descriptions point numbers etc.

Would you have any suggestions on how to better handle this problem. It would be nice if one could grab a point that is the description, point number and so forth and drag them away from on top of each other.

I was just curious to see what kind of comments you might have on this matter.

Thanks again for a really great program.

Steve Shultz, CFM
Newton Office Manager
Garber Surveying Service
511 North Poplar
Newton, KS 67114
Phone: (316) 283-5053
Fax: (316) 283-5073
GSS Since 78 below
Lresources

Re: Survey point categories

PostPosted by PHINESLS » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:18 pm

Steve,

Go to Field to Finish load in your point file. Select the points tab and than the Desc tab and it will group the points with the same descriptions together. You can than select the first description in a category and than go to the last description in the same category and hit shift enter to select all the same descriptions and than load that group in to your drawing. With that group you can set them to what ever layer you want to keep the separate.

Regards,

Patrick (Rusty) Hines LS
PHINESLS

PostPosted by Lresources » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:45 pm

Thank You very much. I will try that

Steve
Lresources

PostPosted by ericdavispsm » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:20 pm

Also, if your points appear to be on top of each other, make sure the labels are set to "dynamic labels"
and use a screen size of 1/4" or so. Then when you zoom in, they won't be covering each other.
ericdavispsm

PostPosted by Dondy2 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:03 am

This is intended to be a 'serious' question ... Is this a 'situation' that would make use of ATTRIBUTES...?
I am only asking because Attributes have not been a Topic for Discussion, development, etc.. for this program
sinc I have been reading this forum.
Dondy2

Return to General CADD Forum