Migrating data to Windows 10 from XP

Description of your first forum.

Migrating data to Windows 10 from XP

PostPosted by petewalker » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:44 pm

Hello - I'm sure this is a seriously elementary question, but I have looked at some of the stuff re: Windows 10 installs and so on and the issues re: fonts seem to persist.

1) I'm migrating to two new computers; one for use in Detroit, one for Los Angeles.
2) I want the look and feel of them both to be virtually identical
3) I've got macros and menus and a font or two, and other idiosyncratic elements I want to bring forward - I assume there are tools for this.
A) where do I find them?
B) do I just copy the environment file?
C) I have the entire HDD from the previous (dying) machine, so all the data should be fine...drawings are already on Dropbox.

I'm basically loading the latest 11, thinking about 12.

Any suggestions re: waiting to get my feet under me with 11 before attempting 12? I'm already adding one major change to the system. (hardware and software), perhaps versions of CADD can wait?
petewalker

Re: Migrating data to Windows 10 from XP

PostPosted by Tom Albright » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:25 pm

The best way to migrate to a new computer is to do a full install of GCP on the new computer, then overwrite the entire "General CADD 11" folder with the "General CADD 11" folder from your old computer. This method worked for XP, Win 7, etc, so I see no reason it would not work for Win 10. Of course, you'll have to move your drawings over, if they're stored apart from the install folder.

After you have V11 working on the new computer, you can install V12. Functionality-wise, there is not a huge amount of difference in the two versions. You can look at the What's New" PDF on the website. A number of key features were added. When you install V12, you should be given the option to migrate your old V11 settings. Its under the Help file drop down menu.
Tom Albright
Tom Albright

PostPosted by petewalker » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:02 pm

Thanks Tom -

I assume the same applies for the "General CADD 12" folder on both machines, copy/over-write?

Also does the same approach apply if one machine (the cheaper smaller one that will get much less use) is running 10, and the beefier one is running 7?

I'm also trying to figure out whether I should just get a copy of 7 for the smaller machine and have both operating systems the same, or upgrade the 7 machine to 10 for the same reason.

It'd be great to hear from the General CADD guys on this...11 or 12 running on 7 or 10? Any preference?

I'm assuming the preference is that I run 12, but if there's a better fit on Windows 7 or 10 I'd like to know it.

Thanks again.
petewalker

PostPosted by Tom Albright » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:41 pm

Same method for updates/migrates.

We run 12 on 7 & 8.1

Not much difference between 11 and 12 - A few features - See the "What's New" PDF. Under the hood, its the same.

Have not tried Win 10 yet, though I have an 8.1 laptop at home that I might "upgrade".
Tom Albright
Tom Albright

PostPosted by Dave Calvert » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:30 pm

I'm running latest version of 12 with Windows 10. Everything went very smooth. The only glitch I had was redesignating the paths for the 11 folder.
Dave
Dave Calvert

Return to General CADD Forum