Windows 10 Good Bad Or Ugly?

Description of your first forum.

Windows 10 Good Bad Or Ugly?

PostPosted by William McCormick » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:04 am

On July 29th I am able to "upgrade" to windows 10. What is the think about doing something like this. Is it just asking for trouble or should it be a fun and uplifting experience?

Of course I would like to use General Cadd after I upgrade to Windows 10 do the experts at General Cadd, have any inside information about Windows 10 and how friendly or evil it is?

Sincerely,

William McCormick
William McCormick

Re: Windows 10 Good Bad Or Ugly?

PostPosted by Tom Albright » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:15 pm

I'm sure it will be much more "fun and uplifting" if you wait a few months for the initial quirks and bugs to be addressed.

Personally, I would not "upgrade" any Windows 7 machine. It will be supported until January 14, 2020. I would consider upgrading Windows 8 computers, but again, wait a few months, towards end of this year. I believe you have a year to do the free upgrade.

Keep in mind that future MS operating systems, perhaps even Windows 10, will become yearly subscription based, where you pay a yearly fee to use them. This is the way a lot of software is heading, you're basically leasing the right to use it.

I would not see why GCP would not work on Windows 10, but I don't know for sure.

This may be of help: http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/who-should-upgrade-windows-10.htm
Tom Albright
Tom Albright

PostPosted by Matt » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:31 pm

I haven't looked at it yet. I'm in no hurry since I love Win 7. The only reason to get it is if it came on a new machine.
We had very few if any problems with Win8, so I'm not anticipating problems with 10.
Matt
Site Admin

PostPosted by William McCormick » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:01 pm

Ok great, thank you guys for the input.

I was going to start programing a project, once before I had done it with an older operating system running, and later it had some issues with the newer operating system. So I was going to upgrade to the latest operating system and make the project.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
William McCormick

PostPosted by William McCormick » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:40 am

So far so good Windows 10 seems pretty stable and everything about General Cadd is the same and is working as it should. The upgrade is pretty straight forward.

Most of the minor problems of passwords and cookies, seems to be other companies and sites security. They apparently will not accept the stored information because it is coming from a different operating system. Of course now that I have written this something terrible will happen. But in all seriousness I think they are on the level with this upgrade, it seems as if it is a honest deal. Time will tell.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
William McCormick

PostPosted by Dave Calvert » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:38 am

I've been running Win10, since the day it came out. Remarkably, easy transition. Out side of having to poke around to find where they have rearranged and re-hid things, all has been good.
I really like the idea of opening to the desk top and using the tiles as the secondary choice, makes more sense to me than to open to the tiles (in Win 8.1) first. I was running Win 8.1 and wasn't very clear on how it was structured for the user.
The way I see it now, is it is a melding of 7 and 8.1, in a way that makes sense.
One of the problems I had was that, the laptop I use, would not take the setting to turn off the touch pad. I use a mouse, for drawing and don't have a use for the touchpad.
I could change the setting, turning off the pad. But when I started up the next time the touch pad would be operational. When I went to try and turn it off again, the tab for turning off the pad was not available.
I went for about five days, then, when I booted up there appeared a message that told me I needed to update the driver for the touch pad. I updated and that took care of it.
I thought that was pretty intuitive.
Outside of the typical "Where is everthing", this has been the easiest upgrade I've done.
Dave
Dave Calvert

PostPosted by Tom Albright » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:31 pm

Thanks for the feedback on Windows 8, Dave & William!

Dave - Windows 8 makes a lot more sense if you ever used a Windows phone. That was MS's idea: to join desktop & phone. But their phones have not caught on. I have a couple of HP laptops and i have found you need to have the touchpad driver installed to be able to disable it - Weird, I know. There is an option in the pointer/mouse section of Control Panel, that will disable the touchpad if it detects a USB mouse. Works great! I hate the touchpad.
Tom Albright
Tom Albright

PostPosted by Sam » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:39 pm

I've never liked the touchpads on a laptop either and have always looked for a way to turn them off. The machine that I use mostly now is a HP 4730S and it took a while to discover how I could turn the touchpad off. But I did find it. In the top left corner there is a small Led which I'd never noticed until I discovered this feature because it was off and visually blended into the rest of the touchpad. I think I was double clicking on the pad and Voilà, my touchpad had been disabled. So I'd accidentally learned that a double click over this Led was the way to disable the touchpad and again to re-enable it. It can be seen here in this Youtube video. I wonder if there might be a similar way to turn it off on other machines.
This is a handy feature. Sometimes when I have a dead battery in my mouse I need to turn the trackpad on for a bit and it is sure a quick way to do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj1Yf4ASag0
Sam

PostPosted by Dave Calvert » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:50 pm

Tom & Sam,
Thanks for the replies. I know how to turn off the touch pad. I bought this laptop right before Win 8 came out. It came with the upgrade to 8, so upgraded when it was released. I had this problem when I went from 7 to 8. I ended up going to HP and worked with them and they finally came up a new driver that fixed the problem.
I've had two Win phones and have loved both of them. I've got the big one now and like the interface with computers and having 48 GB on a phone is bizarre.
I wasn't surprised that when I upgraded to 10, that the touchpad couldn't be turned off. I was disappointed.
But, what I thought was interesting, this time, HP or MSFT was able to monitor my computer and recognized there was a problem and had a specific driver, I needed.
I've read a couple of articles on how they are changing the way you update, and this was a example of the way it is supposed to work.
Anyway all is good. Upgrading was very easy this time.
It beats the good ole days when you had to set or reset your dip switches. Write your Autoexe.bat and Config.sys. And then, if you had Windows, hack your Win.ini.
Dave
Dave Calvert

Return to General CADD Forum