program intermitently drops dead-11.1.28

Description of your first forum.

program intermitently drops dead-11.1.28

PostPosted by cfuchser » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:47 pm

Lately, I have been experiencing that General Cadd simply flashes off, taking with it my unsaved work. It does not seem to make any difference what I am doing at the time. If I open a drawing, and step away, sometimes it will flash off when I am not even touching the computer. I have to reopen the program and reload the drawing from my last save. It seems to help a little if I open and immediately do a save. General Cadd is the only program that I have experienced anything like this with. Lately I am saving about every third minute to keep from having to do my work over. I am using a Lenovo laptop with 8.1. Has anyone else experienced this and were you able to determine what was conflicting?
cfuchser

Re: program intermitently drops dead-11.1.28

PostPosted by PHINESLS » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:21 am

Yes, GCP12 is really super good software, but occasionally lately is does lock up more than I would like and I get a grey screen. I work the software very hard with a lot of hatching and text. It is not a problem but I do tend to save my work often so when the program crashes I can get back up running again with out duplicating a lot of work. I love this software and use it all the time it does everything I need to do so easy.

Regards,
Patrick (Rusty) Hines L.S.
PHINESLS

PostPosted by Matt » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:12 pm

I had another user say that GCP would run for 30 minutes then just exit. We were scheduled to GTM when he said he ran the Windows update and the problem stopped.
V12 is really stable, but stuff happens. Let me know if it becomes a real problem, and especially if you can repeat it. The goal being repeating the crash on my computer.
Thanks,
Matt
Matt
Site Admin

PostPosted by PHINESLS » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:28 pm

Will do Matt. Thank you for your Help. It may even be a Windows 7 issue?

Best Regards,

Patrick (Rusty) Hines
PHINESLS

PostPosted by PHINESLS » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:32 am

Matt,

I think the reason for my GCP12 to crash is when I do a Hatch command that has a poly line the has a small gap (None closed figure) and when I execute the Hatch Command the Program takes a very long time to try to calculate a hatch that may have and infinite calculations to make and because of this the program locks up. I will have to be more careful to make sure the poly line I am hatching is a closed poly line.

Regards.

Patrick (Rusty) Hines L. S.
PHINESLS

PostPosted by Matt » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:36 pm

Rusty - if you have a small sample file you can send it that causes a hatch crash, that would be great. Try to remove all other geometry. Please give instructions.
Thanks,
Mattt
Matt
Site Admin

PostPosted by PHINESLS » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:49 pm

Matt,

Thank you and will keep you posted.

Regards,
Rusty
PHINESLS

PostPosted by ericdavispsm » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:01 pm

Matt,

I get crashes for the same thing (hatches of figures with a tiny, unnoticed, gap)

I have just gotten used to hitting escape if the process takes more than a second to begin to draw.

In all my cases, if it takes longer than a second or two then I know it's not going to work and will crash.

I wish there was a "timeout" setting or "maximum processor cycle" setting for hatching that would prevent
the program to keep calculating a solution.
ericdavispsm

PostPosted by PHINESLS » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:14 pm

Eric,

You have just confirmed the situation with the Hatches that I have experienced.

Regards,

Patrick (Rusty) Hines LS
PHINESLS

Return to General CADD Forum